Asbestos

Asbestos is a naturally occurring material. Asbestos fibres are strong and resistant to heat and chemicals, this has led to its use in a wide range of building materials and products.

Why is asbestos dangerous?

Asbestos containing materials, if maintained in a good condition, are not dangerous. There are low levels of asbestos fibres in the air everywhere because it has been so widely used. Exposure at this low level is unlikely to harm your health.

However, when it is damaged, sanded, scrubbed, drilled or sawn it can become dangerous.

If damaged or disturbed, asbestos containing materials have the potential to release fibres into the air which can be breathed in and can lead to a number of harmful diseases.

If you think you have asbestos in your home:

  • Don’t panic, it is usually only a problem if it gets disturbed or damaged
  • Don’t disturb any damaged area or product that might contain asbestos
  • Don’t dust, sweep or vacuum dirt or debris that might contain asbestos
  • Don’t remove any material that you think contains asbestos

Want to improve your home?

It is vitally important for your safety and those living in your home that, before you carry out any alterations or improvements to your home, you seek our permission. We have an asbestos register, so we can check our records first to see if there is any likelihood of asbestos containing materials in your home.

Where is it normally found?

Asbestos fibres have been added to a range of products and materials, commonly used in the construction of houses and buildings since the early 1900s.

DON’T TAKE RISKS!

If you find damaged asbestos in your home, let us know immediately. If you don’t know whether something contains asbestos, phone us on 0300 123 5522 and we will check our register.

If we haven’t got a record, we can arrange to have the material inspected by trained personnel, have it analysed and/or carry out a risk assessment.