Domestic Abuse – Where you can find help

If you or someone you know is affected from domestic abuse, please reach out and find help today. If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call the police on 999 straight away! If you are in danger and unable to talk on the phone, call 999 and listen to the questions from the operator and, if you can, respond by coughing or tapping on the handset.

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.

Domestic abuse can include, but is not limited to, the following:

How can I report domestic abuse?

  • If it’s an emergency or you’re in immediate danger, you should call 999 and report it to the police.
  • You can contact your local neighbourhood policing team if it’s not an emergency. Domestic abuse and violence is a serious issue and the police will be able to help and protect you.
  • You can contact us for support and advice, by visiting our Contact Us page.
  • If you are deaf or can’t use a phone, you can register with the emergencySMS. Text REGISTER to 999. You will get a text which tells you what to do next. Do this when it is safe so you can text when you are in danger.

How can we support you?

  • We provide support for you (and your family when required) suited to your individual needs
  • We can offer referrals to other agencies such as IDVA Service (The Independent domestic violence advisory), drug and alcohol service, mental health services, social services and language translation services.

Where else can I find support?

  • For free and confidential advice, you can contact a domestic abuse helpline that is available 24 hours a day from this list of numbers.
  • You can find support that is local to you, by visiting the Women’s Aid website and inputting your address.
  • If you are worried about someone else that is experiencing domestic abuse, click here to visit the Women’s Aid website to find out how you can support them.
  • If you are concerned that a new, former or existing partner has an abusive past you can ask the police to check under the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (also known as ‘Clare’s Law’). You can make a request to the police for information about a person’s previous violent offending in person at the police station or elsewhere, by telephone, by email, online or as part of a police investigation.
  • For more information on domestic abuse support, visit the Government website for domestic abuse.
  • If you are a young person, you can also get advice and support from the Childline website.
  • If you’re concerned about your own behaviour and worry that you already are, or could become, abusive – you can call Respect on 0845 122 8609 or visit the Respect website.

    Please prove you are human by selecting the tree.

    * Required

    If you are experiencing domestic abuse, there is support available. Your partner may tell you that nobody will believe you or help you. That is not the case. You are not alone.