Ending your tenancy - handy hints and tips

Before moving out please:

  • Leave your home and garden in a clean and tidy condition, leaving internal decoration clean and intact. If we have to remove any items from the property or garden once you have left, including furniture, appliances carpets, cutting back of overgrown gardens or outbuildings erected by you, we will charge you
  • Make sure you settle any charges in full. Failure to do so may prevent you from renting a home in the future from us or another registered housing provider
  • Take your gas and electricity final meter readings and leave any meter keys in the meter before leaving. Advise your gas and electricity supplier that you are moving and please let us have the details of your gas and electricity suppliers
  • Confirm the exact date you are moving out at least seven days in advance
  • Let us have your new address
  • Hand in all keys and fobs for the property
  • Leave window keys in the property
  • Repair any damage to walls, floors, ceilings, and repair or replace doors and other fixtures and fittings that may have been damaged or removed whilst you were living at the property. You'll also need to carry out any repairs which are your responsibility
  • Remove any rubbish and furniture, including cookers, fridges and freezers, and any items in the garden, loft, bin store, store cupboards, garage or out buildings
  • Turn off your water supply - the stop tap is usually found in your kitchen
  • Leave any gas and electrical appliances which we supplied in a safe condition
  • Tell Council Tax and Housing Benefit* (if applicable) you are leaving
  • Inform the Post Office and arrange to redirect your mail to your new address
  • End your telephone agreement if you have one

We work with local charities that recycle unwanted furniture and white goods so we may be able to help you arrange to remove some items. Please contact us about this.

*Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that will replace some of the benefits and tax credits people get now. It is for people looking for work and people unable to work due to illness, disability or childcare commitments and also people in work on low incomes.


We will need to charge you if you leave anything for us to clear or if we need to carry out any work to repair damage when you have left the property. This includes:

  • Providing and laying vinyl flooring
  • Electric fire suite
  • Removing laminate flooring
  • Renewing external doors
  • Renewing plywood on internal doors
  • Door frames
  • Removing wall fixtures and fittings
  • Clearing rubbish, including the garage, loft, outdoor spaces etc.
  • New kitchen and/or bathroom as a result of damage
  • A new heating system through damage or theft
  • Removing outbuildings erected by you unless we have told you in writing they can remain.

Please note this is not an exhaustive list.