Moving out

We’re sorry to hear you’re thinking of leaving us.

How do I end my tenancy? 

First, you’ll need to give us at least four weeks’ notice beforehand. Then we’ll contact you to arrange a home visit and agree a move out date – at least seven days after this meeting. 

If you are on Housing Benefit, it’s really important you give us four weeks’ notice, as Housing Benefit is only paid for the time you’re living at the ForHousing home. If you move out without notice, you’ll still owe us rent for that period of time but won’t receive your benefits. 

We’ll then work together to ensure your rent account is not in arrears, and that you’re comfortable with completing any actions on your moving out checklist. 

What is on the moving out checklist? 

  • Leave your home and garden in a clean and tidy condition, leaving internal decoration clean and intact. If we have to remove any items from the home or garden once you have left, including furniture, appliances, carpets, cutting back of overgrown gardens or outbuildings erected by you, we will have to charge you 
  • Make sure you settle any charges in full. If you don’t this could stop you from being able to rent a home in the future from us or another registered housing provider 
  • Take your gas and electricity final meter readings and leave any meter keys in the meter before leaving. Advise your gas and electricity supplier that you are moving and please let us have the details of who that is 
  • Let us know your new address 
  • Leave window keys in the home 
  • Repair any damage to walls, floors, ceilings, and repair or replace doors and other fixtures and fittings that may have been damaged or removed whilst you were living there. You’ll also need to carry out any repairs which are your responsibility – you can read more about repairs that are your responsibility here. 
  • Remove any rubbish and furniture, including cookers, fridges and freezers, and any items in the garden, loft, bin store, store cupboards, garage or outbuildings. 
  • Turn off your water supply – the stop tap is usually found in your kitchen but let us know if you need a hand figuring out where it is 
  • Leave any gas and electrical appliances which we supplied in a safe condition 
  • Tell Council Tax and Housing Benefit (if applicable) that you are leaving 
  • Inform the Post Office and arrange to redirect your mail to your new address 
  • End your telephone agreement, if you have one 

I have furniture and/or white goods I no longer need. What should I do? 

We work with local charities that recycle unwanted furniture and white goods, so we can support you in arranging these to be collected. Please speak to your Neighbourhood Officer to find out more.  


What should I do on ‘move out’ day? 

When you leave your home for the last time, please lock up your home securely. We’ll arrange with you how to return all your keys. 


Will I be charged for anything? 

We’ll only charge you if there is anything for us to clear, or if we need to carry out work that was your responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to: 

  • Providing and laying vinyl flooring 
  • Electric fireplace (if it needs replacing)
  • Removing laminate flooring 
  • Renewing external doors 
  • Renewing plywood on internal doors 
  • Door frames 
  • Removing wall fixtures and fittings 
  • Clearing rubbish, including the garage, loft, outdoor spaces etc. 
  • New kitchen and/or bathroom as a result of damage 
  • A new heating system through damage or theft 
  • Removing outbuildings erected by you unless we have told you in writing they can remain.