Moving in

We aim to let your home as quickly and efficiently as possible, and will support you so it’s a smooth transition without added stress.

What will ForHousing do before I move in? 

We’ll have:

  • Carried out electrical and gas safety checks 
  • Made the necessary repairs 
  • Removed non-standard electrical fittings and appliances 
  • Changed the locks to front and rear doors 
  • Removed all rubbish from inside and outside your home 
  • Made sure the property meets our standards 

Will there be any works after I’ve moved in? 

We want you to be able to move into your new home as soon as possible, so we might need to carry out some non-essential repairs after you have moved in.  

You will be given a list of these repairs when you sign the tenancy agreement. We’ll also discuss with you how long it will take for the repairs to be carried out. 

What do I need to know? 

The gas supply will be turned off and can only be turned back on after we have carried out a ‘turn on and test’ of the gas supply, after your home is relet. 

We recommend you arrange an appointment for a ‘turn on and test’ straightaway.  

Until this test is completed, we won’t know if any gas appliance needs to be replaced. A gas ‘turn on and test’ appointment will be completed within one working day of you requesting it. 

Will my home be of a high-standard? 

All of our homes meet the Government’s Decent Homes Standard. 

Here are some of the services we provide to keep your home well-maintained: 

  • We inspect all homes and carry out essential repairs before we let you move into one of our homes 
  • We complete any non-urgent repairs or external maintenance within three months of you moving in 
  • We provide a 24-hour emergency repair service all year round 
  • By law we carry out a gas safety check on your home every year 

What can I expect? 

  • The garden is tidy with any grass cut 
  • The property is clear, clean and watertight 
  • There are no visible leaks 
  • Doors and windows are watertight 
  • Gas and/or electric supplies are tested and safe 
  • Home alterations have been inspected and approved 
  • There is no visible mould or damp 
  • The kitchen has space for essential appliances such as the cooker and fridge 
  • The number of kitchen units is suitable for the size of the property 
  • There is an electricity and where possible a gas supply for the cooker 

What do I need to do?

If you have a gas cooker, you will need to have it installed by a qualified gas engineer.  

You will need to arrange to have your own washing machine plumbed in, decorate your home and will need to buy and fit your own floor covering.  

You should also arrange your own contents insurance. 

Your tenancy agreement will list out all of your responsibilities in full, like ensuring your garden is free from rubbish and maintained, and internal decoration of your home. 

Anything else? 

  • Be careful when decorating your new home as the use of steamers to remove wallpaper can damage plaster work 
  • You are responsible for paying for utilities and will need to arrange for these services to be put into your name when you move in 
  • You will be provided with three sets of door keys, including door entry fobs where needed. Please note that you will be charged for replacement keys and fobs.