Gas safety

What are we doing to keep you safe?

We carry out an annual gas safety check in your home every 12 months, this confirms that the gas pipes and appliances in your property are operating safely. We will work with you to pick an appointment at a time that suits you.  

Not only is your safety our top priority, but we’re also required by law to make sure that your home is safe and well-maintained.  

This protects you and your community and helps to save you money on your energy bills. By letting us in to do a gas service check at the first appointment, you’ll automatically be entered into a quarterly prize draw for £50.  

During the check, we look at your entire heating system and make sure it’s safe. That means checking your gas appliances, pipework and flues, test smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms. The inspection usually takes around 45 minutes. We’ll then provide you with a copy of your gas safety certificate around 2 weeks later via post.

What happens if there's a fault?

If we can’t complete the repair at our first visit, we’ll contact you within 24 hours to schedule a follow-up appointment. This usually happens if we need to order parts. If your central heating isn’t working and a repair can’t be actioned immediately, we’ll offer you temporary electric heaters. 

What happens if there's a fault?

When installed correctly, gas appliances are perfectly safe in the home. However, if your appliances are old, have been poorly fitted or have not been serviced correctly then it increases the chances of a gas leak occurring. Gas leaks can be very dangerous, causing health problems and accidents in the home. Additionally, the release of gas into the air is bad for the environment.

While we will work with you to ensure that your home is kept gas safe, it’s important to know what the signs and symptoms of a gas leak are, and what to do if there’s an emergency.

What to do if a gas leak is suspected?

It’s important not to smoke or use electrical appliance if a leak is suspected. You can open windows if it’s safe to do so, and leave the area immediately.

Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon Monoxide is a gas which can make you seriously ill if you breathe it in. It’s colourless and odourless meaning it’s quite hard to tell if it’s around you. It can be produced by your gas appliances if they’re not installed properly, are faulty or poorly maintained. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:

1. Headaches

2. Dizziness

3. Nausea

4. Breathlessness

5. Collapsing

6. Loss of consciousness

If you start feeling unwell and believe you’ve been exposed to carbon monoxide, then contact your GP immediately or go to hospital to be checked over.

In case of an emergency...

In case of an emergency…

If you can smell gas, or suspect a gas leak, always call National Grid on 0800 111 999 (anytime day or night).