Doing our bit this Earth Day
Today is World Earth Day 2021, a time to reflect on how we can all reduce our impact on the environment.
At ForHousing, we are passionate about tackling climate change and enabling people to remain in their homes for longer.
We continue to invest in more energy efficient homes, whilst making sure we reduce waste and carbon emissions from the day-to-day things we do.
But we all have a part to play, no matter how big or small – we can all make a change towards a safer and greener planet.
We’ve put together a list of some quick and easy ways you can reduce your impact on the environment. Why not see if you can tick a few off today?
1) Try and take a reusable bag to the supermarket, rather than using a disposable plastic one! They’re often stronger and bigger too!
2) Reduce your food waste by planning meals ahead of time, storing ingredients properly so they last longer and freezing and reusing leftovers.
3) Wash your clothes in cold water – this may surprise you but doing just two washing machine loads in cold water instead of hot can save up to 500 lbs or carbon dioxide each year. You can buy special detergent for cold water to help clean your clothes well!
4) Try to avoid items with lots of plastic – it’s not always doable so if you do end up having packaging, make sure you recycle it!
5) Switch your lights off when you leave the room and unplug any electronics that you’re not using.
6) If you’re popping out, why not walk or cycle rather than taking the car. This reduces co2 emissions as well as traffic congestion, which is always a bonus!
7) Keep learning – it’s always worth researching the ways you can reduce your footprint. There are lots of documentaries, TV shows and articles online where you can find out more.
Change starts with action, make one small change today and help contribute towards a safer and greener planet.