Managing money

We are able to help with enquiries about Housing Benefit, Universal Credit, Discretionary Housing Payments, Discretionary Hardship Payments, money advice and assistance with paying your rent. We also offer support for tenants who may be affected by welfare reform, and have a directory of the local and national support agencies who can help you with:

  • Your rent account
  • Budgeting advice to help make your money go further
  • Benefit advice / benefit checks
  • Assistance to complete benefit applications, for example, Personal Independence Payment
  • Setting up a bank account
  • Grant applications, for example, Social Fund
  • Debt/advice/referral
  • Affordable credit options
  • Avoiding illegal money lending and loan sharks

Money advice

We can assist you with:

  • Budgeting: support around developing budgeting skills to help you get more out of your money
  • Debt advice: dealing with all creditors to minimise the impact of debts by making affordable repayment offers and supporting you through other options such as insolvency (debt relief order or bankruptcy)
  • Income maximisation: supporting you to gain access to all the welfare benefits you are entitled to, save on utility bills and shop around to get the best value for money
  • Financial inclusion: we can help you gain access to basic bank accounts and also work in partnership with the local credit union

Further help and advice

  • Contact us
  • Go to one of the quick links on this page for national or regional support agencies and help in your local area