Leaseholder charges - frequently asked questions

What is a service charge?

Service charges are payable by leaseholders to cover the costs of any services we provide to your home to keep it in a good condition. Leaseholders pay for items such as buildings insurance, communal gardening, communal lighting, repairs and maintenance.

Why am I being charged a service charge?

Service charges are made because we provide services to a home. Your lease agreement will confirm which charges we are able to recover from you as a service charge.

When do I need to pay the service charge?

Service charges are payable from the 1 April each year. Payments are due quarterly in advance on the first day of each quarter, on 1 April, 1 July, 1 October and 1 January.

You can choose to pay monthly by Direct Debit over 12 monthly installments.

We send the estimate charges out by the end of April each year. We also send quarterly invoices either with the service charges estimates or shortly before the start of each quarter.

How do I pay my service charge?

You can pay service charges in full or in installments by cheque, BACs, Direct Debit etc.

How do you calculate my service charge?

If you are part of a block you will be charged a proportion of the overall costs, for example, if you are one leaseholder in a block of four properties, you'll be charged ¼ of the costs

Buildings insurance is charged at the actual annual cost per property and leaseholders are on a separate insurance policy to other tenants.

I’m being charged for a service I don’t think I get, how do I check this?

Please send enquiries like this through to

We will look into your enquiry and you will receive details once we've carried out the investigation and confirm if any changes need to be made.

I’m being charged for buildings insurance but I have my own policy, what do I do?

Under the terms of the lease agreement, the freeholder is responsible for insuring the building, however the cost will be recovered from you as the leaseholder. Therefore it is best that you cancel any buildings insurance policy you have of your own.

If you own 100% of the property through shared ownership you will no longer receive buildings insurance cover from us.

How do I make a claim on the buildings insurance?

Contact us if you need to make a claim and we will provide you with the relevant details.

Can you arrange contents insurance for me?

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide contents insurance for leaseholders and shared ownership properties.

Can the services I pay for (within my service charge) change?

The services you pay for may change but only if services to the property / block change.