Money matters

We understand that managing your money can sometimes feel overwhelming. We want to do everything we can to help.

We’re here to help with questions about Housing Benefit, Universal Credit, Discretionary Housing Payments and Hardship payments, along with money and rent advice.

We also offer support if you’ve been affected by welfare reform.

We can connect you to local and national support agencies that support with: 

  • Managing your rent account 
  • Budgeting advice to help make your money go further 
  • Benefit advice / benefit checks 
  • Assistance to complete benefit applications, for example, Personal Independence Payment 
  • Setting up a bank account 
  • Grant applications, for example, Social Fund 
  • Debt/advice/referral 
  • Affordable credit options 
  • Avoiding illegal money lending and loan sharks 

ForHousing can help you to:

Get the most out of your money by developing your budgeting skills.

Deal with creditors to minimise the impact of your debts. This can be through affordable repayment offers, debt relief order, or bankruptcy. We can talk you through what each of these mean.

Receive any welfare benefits you’re entitled to, save on utility bills, and shop around to get the best value for money.

Gain access to basic bank accounts and work in partnership with the local credit union.

What are credit unions?

They offer an alternative to borrowing from, or saving with, national banks. They have a range of services including loans and savings accounts.

Many credit unions are willing to offer loans to members even when they have been previously turned down by banks. Click here to find your local credit union.

Loan sharks 

Loan sharks are breaking the law when they lend money without a Consumer Credit Licence.

They tend to lend money with no paperwork and high interest rates so you can never pay back the money and will always be in their debt.

Remember, you are not breaking the law by borrowing from loan sharks but they are breaking the law by lending you money.

These loans are not enforceable without a court order which is why they often use threats and intimidation to get you to pay.

If you spot a loan shark or you’ve borrowed money from one in the past, you can report them anonymously:

Telephone: 0300 555 2222 (24-hour service)
Text a report to 07860 022 116

Click on following link to see Cheshire West and Chester council’s advice and support for the coming months.